Disneyland® Park Celebrates 57 Years of Making Memories
To all who come to this happy place: Welcome! Disneyland® is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland® is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America … with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. – Walt Disney
When Walt Disney opened the gates to Disneyland® Park 57 years ago today, no one imagined it would be what it is today. Even though Walt encountered many obstacles and was told numerous times that he was making a grave mistake, he continued to follow his dream. Today, more than 500 million guests have visited Disneyland® Park, becoming a source for memories that will last a lifetime!
In celebration of Disneyland® Park’s 57th Birthday, enjoy these Fun Facts:
- Disneyland® Park, “The Happiest Place on Earth,” occupies 85 acres of land about 27 miles southeast of Los Angeles.
- Disneyland® Park features 8 themed lands - Main Street, U.S.A®, Tomorrowland®, Fantasyland®, Frontierland®, Critter Country, Adventureland®, New Orleans Square, and Mickey’s Toontown.
- When Disneyland® Park opened on July 17, 1955, it had 18 major attractions. Now, guests will find more than 60 different adventures and attractions!
- It takes approximately 5,000 gallons of paint each year to keep Disneyland® Park looking as beautiful today as it did 57 years ago.
- Each year, more than 1 million annuals are planted at Disneyland® Park.
- Approximately 30 tons of garbage is collected each day in the Park.
- No visit to Disneyland® Park is complete without food! Each year, an estimated 3 million hamburgers, 2 million hot dogs, 1.6 million servings of popcorn, and 2.8 million churros are served.
- The Costuming Department is responsible for approximately 800,000 pieces! Annually, about 300,000 buttons are replaced on costumes!
- Each night, custodial cast members wash and steam clean the streets of Disneyland® Park.
- The Disneyland® Band has marched more than 3,500 miles in over 90,000 performances since opening day in 1955. The repertoire of the band includes more than 400 musical numbers.